Whitko’s difficult season comes to a close

ALBION – Whitko’s football team closed its winless season with a 56-8 loss to Central Noble in sectional play here Friday.

Central Noble scored 28 points in the first quarter and led 42-0 at halftime.

Whitko scored in its last drive of the game by moving the ball 31 yards in six plays. Quarterback Dominic Mosley threw to Colin Loe for a five-yard score. Running back Hunter Reed ran in the two-point conversion.

The Cougars out rushed Whitko 383 yards to 98. The Wildcats did out pass Central Noble, 86 yards to 72.

Reed led the rushing attack and receiving with 30-yards on the ground and 47 yards the air. Isaiah Pierce also had two pass receptions for 34-yards. Pierce also led the defense with five tackles.

The Wildcats ended the year 0-10. Its closest contest of the year was a 28-22 loss to Wabash in the last game of the regular season.

Columbia City Eagles lose to Wayne

FORT WAYNE – The Columbia City faithful may have had more fans in the stands, but Wayne had more points on the board.

Columbia City’s football team was ousted in the first round of sectionals, losing to the Generals 62-20 Friday.

“Our guys continued to fight early and I’m proud of them for that,” said Columbia City Coach Fox. After the game

Drew Rethlake (left) and Tanner Martz run onto the field along with the rest of the Eagle football team before the sectional game.

The Eagles tricked Wayne with an onside kick to open the game. The Eagles recovered. That momentum was short-lived, as the Eagles were held to a third and out. Wayne scored on a 92-yard run on its opening play. The extra point was wide right and the Generals led 6-0.

The Eagles’ offense was held to another third and out, and Wayne scored once again. This time on a 41-yard sprint to the end zone. The Generals led 13-0 with 8:57 left in the first quarter.

The Eagles’ offense continued to struggle and punted after three plays. The Generals struck again. The Wayne quarterback connected on a 50-yard pass to his receiver for a score. Wayne led 19-0 after another missed extra point.

The Eagles’ offense came out and was forced to punt after their fourth consecutive third and out.

The Columbia City defense was able to stop the Generals. A Wayne running back let loose of the ball and an Eagle defender pounced on the ball on the second play of the drive.

The Eagles’ offense started the ball at midfield and converted a first down for the first time in the game. Quarterback Jacob Bolt threw the ball to Jon O’Dell to keep the drive going. Austin Bolt caught a deep 32-yard pass for a score. The Eagles trailed 19-7 with 3:35 left in the first quarter.

The Wayne offense drove the ball down the field, but settled with a short field goal to end their drive. The Generals moved up 22-7.

The Columbia City football team lines up on the sideline while the coaching staff instructs some of the Eagle players.

Columbia City answered with another touchdown scoring drive. Jacob Wigent opened the series with a 13-yard run to end the first quarter.

A short completion to Ethan Christen paid off after a face mask was called on the Generals. The Eagles converted on a fourth and five in Wayne territory. Christen caught a 20-yard pass to the six-yard line. The Eagles converted a fourth and goal at the 1-yard line with a run by Tanner Martz. The Eagles were within one possession, trailing 22-14 with 8:08 left in the first half.

Wayne pulled away late in the first half. Wayne connected on a 60-yard reception to the red zone. The Generals scored on a 17-yard run play, going ahead 29-14 with 7:39 left in the half.

Columbia City threw an interception on their next drive. The Generals’ offense started with the ball at the Eagle 28-yard line. Solomon Barrera had a nice tackle for loss for the Eagles. Wayne scored with a 17-yard pass bringing the score to 36-14 with 4:06 in the first half.

Columbia City wideout Garrett Roehling attemps to prevent a Wayne interception.

“It was a one possession game, and then next thing we knew it got out of hand,” said Fox. “We needed to capitalize on that onside kick and didn’t have enough break out run plays that we typically have this season.”

The Columbia City offense was forced to punt after a three and out. Drew Rethlake had a pass breakup for the Eagles’ defense, but Wayne later scored on a 64 yard catch with 2:47 left in the half. The Generals led 43-14.

Wayne had another opportunity to score late in the first half, and they executed. Wayne started their drive at the Columbia City nine-yard line and scored with a nine-yard pass. Columbia City trailed 49-14.

Columbia City made a first down, but threw an interception. Wayne had another opportunity to score, but O’Dell intercepted a pass in the end zone right before the half.

The Eagles offense put together a nice scoring drive in the fourth quarter. Max Bedwell and Wigent both made first down plays for the Eagles. Christen scored on a four-yard run. The Generals still led 62-20, which was the final score.

Despite the loss, Coach Fox is looking at the bright side and is proud of his seniors for leading the team this year.

“Our seniors helped us take a step forward with our program,” said Fox. “That’s something they can hang their hat on and, one day, they can look back and say they were the ones to start the program heading in the right direction. They’ve done a lot here, that hasn’t been done in a long time.”