CHURUBUSCO — Last week’s Churubusco-Columbia City wrestling match was deja vu of last year’s match between the county rivals as the match would be decided at 195 pounds in a bout between Churubusco’s Marcus DeBolt and Columbia City’s Spencer Emenhiser.

Last year, Emenhiser came away with the win. This year, DeBolt was ready to attack. With 52 seconds left in the first period, DeBolt pinned Emenhiser to break the 36-36 tie, and host Churubusco won 42-36, starting off the season with a win.

“This year, I was sure to come out prepared,” DeBolt said. “It was exciting. I lost the whole match last year and this year I won it for us.”

The hosts ran out to a 30-0 lead to start the match, starting off with back-to-back pins. Reese Wicker pinned Cole Mosier with 35 seconds left in the first period at 220 pounds and Hunter Bianski pinned Ian Clifford with 23 seconds left in the first period at 285 pounds.

Zander Hord continued Churubusco’s winning ways with a 3-2 victory over Columbia City’s Allan Maggard at 106 pounds.

Shawn Prater pinned Columbia City’s Josh Miner with 33 seconds left in the first period at 113 pounds, and ’Busco’s Dominic Heath pinned CC’s Austin Dunnuck with 1:27 to go in the second period to win the 120-pound match.

Korbyn Reister scored an 8-3 victory over Columbia City’s Isaiah Litherland at 126 pounds to give the hosts their 30-0 advantage.

“I knew we were starting in the worst spot we could have,” Columbia City head coach Blane Culp said. “We’re stretched thin — we bumped where we could and snuck some wins out when we could.”

Columbia City was battling injury and illness, but fought back from the 30-0 deficit, earning five pins in a row.

Jarrett Forrester put Columbia City on the board with a third-period pin over Brandon Kolvoord at 132 pounds.

Ryan Sheets pinned Churubusco’s Ethan Hille in the third period of the 138-pound match, and Hunter Maggard pinned Nick Nondorf in the second period of the 145-pound match.

Austin Mullinax pinned Churubusco’s Case Lemper with nine seconds left in the first period at 152 pounds.

Jackson Pettigrew pinned Churubusco’s Ksylar Krider in the second period, tying the score at 30.

Technical mishaps by a rookie wrestler caused a Columbia City disqualification, and Churubusco took back the lead, 36-30, but Columbia City responded with a third-period pin with 38 seconds left, as Carter Wireman took a win over ’Busco’s Landon Keener at 182 pounds.

The match was tied at 36 when DeBolt and Emenhiser took the mat, and the rest was history.

This is the third close match Columbia City has lost this season, and coach Culp is looking to push his Eagles over the hump and into the more wins.

Last year, Columbia City lost seven close matches, including four in conference play that could have put the Eagles near the top of the conference.