WARSAW — Columbia City is sending a relay team and an individual to the boys swimming state finals this weekend.
The 400-yard freestyle relay team of Aaron Fix, Charlie Varga, Noah Johns and Ryan Devito won the event by nearly five seconds, finishing in 3:19.63.
Devito also won the 100-yard butterfly, advancing to state in two events.
The Eagles finished second overall, and had several second-place finishers who nearly earned their trip to state.
At the girls state finals the prior weekend, Lauren Liston represented Columbia City by finishing 32nd with a time of 1:04.20 in the 100-yard backstroke.
The boys state finals are Feb. 22-23 at the Indiana University Natatorium at IUPUI in Indianapolis.
Devito also finished third in the 200-yard freestyle, and Aaron Fix took second in the 200-yard individual medley. Johns (fourth) and Maxwell Joseph (fifth) weren’t far behind Fix in the medley. Johns also placed fourth in the 100 butterfly.
Varga placed third in the 50-yard freestyle and second in the 100-yard freestyle.
The 200-yard freestyle relay team of Joseph, Johns, Varga and Devito took a close second behind Warsaw.
Fix also fell by a close margin in the 100-yard backstroke, dropping the race by less than a half-second.
The 200-yard medley relay team of Theodore Varga, Caden Ferguson, Zachary Young and Maxwell Joseph placed fourth.
Other placings include:
- 200 freestyle: Brian Fix, 10th; Zachary Young, 16th.
- Diving: Theodore Varga, fifth; Joseph More, eighth
- 100 butterfly: Caden Ferguson, 14th
- 500 freestyle: Matthew Hoskins, fifth; Ian Harrold, eighth; Brian Fix, 11th
- 100 backstroke: Matthew Hoskins, seventh; Caden Ferguson, 16th
- 100 breaststroke: Maxwell Joseph, fifth; Zachary Young, 10th